Saturday 17 October 2009

and the trip comes to an end

After the park we headed back to the hotel, picked up our luggage, took the train to New Chitose airport, flew to Haneda (J-Class again), missed the last coach to Narita and spent a small fortune having to get a taxi instead. So we arrived at the hotel late and tired and went straight to bed.

EPV0170
EPV0169
Some of the food on offer at the airport.

EPV0173
and this is what we had. Very good it was too!

On the Korean Airlines flight back I got through the following movies.

Fast and Furious
Four actors try to resurrect their careers by going back to the franchise that made them famous in the first place. Vin Diesel (who's also repeating the plan by making another XXX and Riddick movie). I'm not sure this was any better than any of the other movies (I've not yet seen Tokyo Drift so can't judge that one). The best bit is the opening gas stealing sequence. If that bores you then change over. I was over the Korean dude and his coffee making.

Duplicity
Clive Owen and Julia Robert play spies and the film is directed by the dude who did the Bourne movies so I thought this would be OK. It wasn't. There were no action sequences like in Mr and Mrs Smith, which I thought this might have been close to. Instead it was all about supposedly witty conversation and "intelligent" dialogue which bored me. How I managed to get through all 2 and a half hours of this I don't know.

Echelon Conspiracy
I'd never heard of this film and I think it might have gone straight to DVD, or straight to Korean Airlines in-flight entertainment system perhaps. It's something to do with a defence computer that develops an intelligence and starts to kill of people involved with its design. As daft as it sounds and a film not saved by having Martin Sheen starring in it.

Tactical Unit Comrades in Arms
A weird Korean film about two groups of police officers who compete against each other to get the good areas to police. After bickering they have to work together when a group of robbers rob a bank and head off into the mountains. I couldn't get if it was a comedy or serious but it was still better than the Hollywood junk I'd seen previously.

My Girlfriend is an Agent
The final film of the flight was another Korean one and one that was definitely a comedy. It features a woman who leads a double life as a spy (sound familar) when not being doted upon by a geeky chap who happens to be leading a double life as a cop (sound familar). Anyway this was pretty good and easily the best film of the flight.

After 11 hours the flight touched down in London and after saying goodbye to Jeppe I made my home.

So how was it? Amazing, I had such a good time. I was bummed about the whole Spa thing but the positives totally outweighed that single negative. Japan is still an amazing country and having done my own trip planning at the end I'm a lot more confident in going out there outside of the group. There is so much I'd like to see of Japan that I think I'll be out there soon.

The best part of the trip for me was not a coaster, ironic given the purpose of the trip and the number of coasters I'd ridden. The cable drop thing at Woobang Towerland gave me the biggest adrenalin surge that I've had in a long long time. If I had to pick a coaster it would be Eejanaika at Fuji-Q, which was hilariously enjoyable just by being completely crazy and confusing.

Thanks to Kevin (RIP) and Justin for the trip organisation, some (but not all) of the club for being a great group and to Jeppe for joining me in the latter extension.

Next years trips will be to America/Canada and China.

No comments:

Post a Comment